Easy flag cookie tray for 4th of July using store-bought cookies
Salute Independence Day with an American flag cookie tray! Buy crisp sandwich cookies to dip in a simple homemade glaze, coat in sanding sugar and top with white stars. It’s a sparkly dessert that’s easy to make and sure to draw attention to your table!
We totally lucked out and found a tray to fit our cookies perfectly, but you can layer them on a rimmed cookie sheet to create an amazing look. We used rectangular cookies but round ones will work—after all, you’re not going for an exact replica!
Making the glaze is easy but getting the consistency correct is the trick. Too thin and it’ll run off the cookie—too thick and it won’t even stick. You’ll have to test it out.
You can head to a craft or cake supply store for white chocolate or sugar stars or you can simply draw stars with gel icing.
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup light corn syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (clear, if available)
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- pinch salt
- 3 Tbsp water plus additional as needed
- 3 pkgs store-bought sandwich cookies
- red, white and blue sanding sugar, poured into separate bowls
- white chocolate or sugar stars (optional)
- white gel icing (optional)
- Begin making a dipping glaze by whisking powdered sugar, corn syrup, vanilla, butter, salt and water together until completely smooth. Add additional water if needed to achieve a consistency that coats the cookies in a fairly thick layer when dipped. Dip one sandwich cookie into the icing as a test—if it’s too thin it will run off the sides. If it’s too thick, it won’t even stick to the cookie!
- Once your glaze is right, dip each cookie into the glaze coating only one side of the sandwich cookie with the glaze. Use a butter knife to remove any excess glaze or lightly drag the cookie across the rim of the bowl.
- Immediately dip the glazed side of the cookie into the appropriate color sanding sugar as needed to complete the American flag. Be sure the glaze is completely covered then place the cookie on a rectangular tray. Top blue cookies with a white chocolate or sugar star, or draw one on with gel icing.
- You can begin eating these cookies immediately or allow the glaze to set firm. Enjoy!
More from our partners