Make easy and colorful DIY paper flowers out of coffee filters!
Create a bouquet that doesn’t have an expiration date! These easy DIY paper flowers are made from nothing more than coffee filters, paint and floral wire!
You don’t need to go crazy with paint supplies—just dilute a few colors of acrylic paint in paper cups using water. Then dip-dye the coffee filters to create colorful flowers.
Get the creative juices flowing and create beautiful color gradients with the coffee filter ‘petals,’ or adjust the number of filters you use per flower according to how full a bouquet you desire.
You can even use these instructions to make gift toppers, bunting and fascinators for all your friends. Share your finished product on Facebook and Twitter using #CherylStyle!
- acrylic paint
- small paper cups
- 8 round coffee filters
- binder clips
- floral stem wire
- hot glue
- crepe paper for leaves, if desired
- spray glitter, if desired
- Dilute paint with water in a small paper cup. To create a pale wash, use less paint—you can always add more until you get the desired pigment.
- Flatten 2 separate stacks of filters—4 coffee filters each—then fold each stack into quarters. Attach binder clips or clothes pins to the folded tip of the stacks then dip the ends into paint—one at a time—then set aside to dry.
- When coffee filters have dried completely, gently unfold and peel the filters apart to separate them before you fringe the ends (the paint can be slightly sticky) then restack and fold the filters back into quarters like before. Cut a 1" incision to create fringe alongside the curved ends of each (stacked and folded) sets of filters, using scissors.
- Once all filters have been fringed, unfold and flatten into one stack. Add a dab of hot glue onto the center of each filter, layering one on top of another as you go—so all of the filters are glued together in the stack.
- Add a line of hot glue across the diameter of the stacked coffee filters then fold in half to make a half circle. Let a few seconds pass so the glue can dry completely.
- Place the half circle in front of you with the rounded edge on the top. Then grab your floral wire stem. Place your ‘stem’ at a 45 degree angle with the tip of wire pointing toward the rounded edge. Make sure the tip of the wire is about an inch below the rounded edge. Hot glue the floral wire in place then fold filters in half again, over top of the wire (it will look like a wedge of cheese) Press together to ensure the wire stem is glued in between the filters.
- If you opt to design leaves with this craft, simply trim a green leaf shape from green crepe paper then apply to the stem with hot glue.
- Display and enjoy!
More from our partners