Who has time to make a hot breakfast in the morning? Prepare our challah French toast casserole the night before and no one will know you made it ahead of time!
Challah is a sweet egg-based bread known for its beautiful braid and shiny finish. Once found only in delicatessens, it’s now readily available most everywhere—we love Trader Joe’s.
Once you try our easy challah French toast recipe, you’ll never make it the old fashioned way again.
It only takes a few minutes to mix your ingredients together, place it in a baking pan and top with melted butter and brown sugar.
Store the pan overnight in the fridge, making sure it’s covered tightly with foil. In the morning, take it out of the fridge and set it on the counter for 10 minutes. Rustle up the kids. Pop it in the oven for 30 minutes while you and the kids get ready.
You’ve made a delicious hot meal that’s a special treat any day of the week yet fancy enough to serve for holiday brunch! It’s a great way to start a stress-free day!
Give us a “challah” on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, twitter or Google plus! Tag #cs or #cherylstyle and tell us what you’re cooking!
Challah French toast casserole
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp fine sea salt
- 2 Tbsp honey, maple syrup or dark agave nectar
- 1 loaf challah bread, torn into large pieces
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- Combine eggs, half and half, vanilla, cinnamon, salt and honey in large mixing bowl. Add challah bread pieces, gently stirring to coat bread with egg mixture. Pour into a lightly greased 10" square pan and set aside.
- Melt butter and brown sugar in a small sauce pan over medium heat until combined with a smooth texture, about 5-7 minutes. Pour sugar mixture evenly over bread then wrap tightly with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator overnight.
- Remove casserole from refrigerator, uncover and allow to rest for about 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees then bake for about 30-35 minutes until eggs are set and it's hot and bubbly (place aluminum foil on top if bread browns to quickly). Enjoy!