Try some super-foods that are super delicious and super good for you! Our super-healthy kale quinoa patties recipe is a scrumptious substitute for rubbery-tasting veggie patties.We cannot begin to express the utter deliciousness of this recipe without you trying it for yourself. Quinoa—which tastes like a cross between brown rice and oatmeal—combined with fresh kale, yellow onion, chives and Parmesan cheese is sure to rock your taste buds!
Quinoa, pronounced keen-wah, is the star ingredient for this recipe. It cooks quickly—only requiring about 5–10 minutes—has the highest protein content of all the grains and is gluten-free. Score!
To make this recipe, combine the quinoa, eggs, Parmesan, chives and salt in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a skillet on medium heat to sweat the onions and garlic for three minutes. Add kale to the skillet after you sweat the onions and cook the kale until it is bright green and soft. Combine the kale mixture with the quinoa and add the breadcrumbs. Stir the ingredients well to ensure they are evenly blended.
Place a clean skillet on medium heat and add enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan. In the meantime, form the quinoa into patties. Place the patties in the skillet, being careful not to splash the hot oil or overcrowd the pan.
Fry the patties until they’re golden brown, approximately 5 minutes per side. Remove the patties and drain on a paper towel.
These patties are great served alongside a fresh salad, but we’re anxious to try them for breakfast! We’re thinking with a fried egg and a nest of hash browns. Delish!
Healthy kale quinoa patties
- 2 ½ cups cooked quinoa, cooled
- 4 cups kale, cleaned, deveined, chopped small
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ yellow onion, diced small
- ½ cup chives, chopped
- ½ cup Parmesan, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¾ cup finely ground bread crumbs (use gluten free breadcrumbs to make this dish gluten free)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil plus more for frying
- Combine quinoa, eggs, Parmesan, chives and salt in medium mixing bowl.
- Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in skillet on medium heat then sweat onions and garlic, approximately 3 minutes. Add kale to skillet and cook until kale is bright green and soft.
- Add kale mixture to quinoa mixture, then add breadcrumbs and stir to combine.
- Place clean skillet on medium heat and add enough oil to coat bottom of pan.
- Form patties using ½ cup of quinoa mixture and place patties in skillet being careful not to splash hot oil or overcrowd the pan. Fry until golden brown on each side, approximately 5 minutes per side.
- Remove patties, drain on paper towel and serve.