DIY dreidel printable place cards filled with gelt
What’s Hanukkah without a dreidel? A plain or patterned DIY dreidel printable place cards make it easy and fun for kids—just fill with gelt!
Dreidel! Dreidel! Dreidel—this one’s not made out of clay. Dress your table up for Hanukkah with our free DIY dreidel printable place cards treat box. It’s an easy activity that costs practically nothing!
A dreidel is a top with a Hebrew letter on each of its four sides. In ancient times, Jewish people were not always allowed to openly practice their religion. In order to pray, they would always carry a dreidel. If soldiers approached, prayer books would be hidden away and Jews would pretend to play a gambling game with the top.
Once the soldiers left, the dreidel would be put away and prayers would be continued. Today, dreidels and chocolate candy coins known as gelt are popular symbols associated with the holiday of Hanukkah.
It takes only a few steps to make this fun and unique place card. First, download and print our CherylStyle DIY dreidel place card printable. We provide you with a choice of three paper patterns so you don’t even have to leave home to purchase any! To get the kids involved we’ve also got a plain printable that can be colored and decorated.
Next, cut out the pattern with scissors, then score and fold on the lines where indicated. When using paper that’s heavier and a bit more difficult to fold, it’s always a good idea to use a ruler as a guide and lightly cut the paper with a butter knife or X-acto knife first—that will ensure a crisp fold.
Glue where indicated to form the point of the dreidel, paint wood skewers and let them dry, then punch a hole in the top of the dreidel as indicated. Push a skewer through the hole, fill with gelt and tape closed.
After dinner, have the kids gather up their dreidels, empty them of candy and use their coins to play the dreidel game with real tops. Each round, everyone puts one coin into the “pot.” The spinner spins the dreidel—coins can be won or lost, determined by which of the four letters the dreidel lands. The person with the most coins at the end of the game wins!
DIY dreidel printable place card instructions
what you’ll need
- CherylStyle DIY dreidel place card printable
- white card stock
- X-acto knife or butter knife
- 6½” wood skewers
- blue paint
- hole punch
- hanukkah gelt
- 5″ x 1″ plain paper, cut to size
let’s do it
- download CherylStyle DIY dreidel place card printable and open in Adobe Reader
- print and cut out dreidel
- score (check out our video on how to score paper for a clean and professional look), using a ruler and X-acto knife or butter knife
- fold on lines where indicated
- glue starting with one of the points and work your way around
- paint skewers blue and let dry
- hole punch where indicated
- push skewer through hole
- fill with candy and tape closed
- write name on one side of 5″ x 1″ plain paper, glue other side
- fold paper in half around skewer then press together
- Candy coins from your place card can be used with a real dreidel for games after dinner!
|“Candy coins from your place card can be used with a real dreidel for games after dinner!” – Cheryl|
posted in our craft series