This no-sew purse is super simple to make—just fold fabric, iron, glue and cut! Add a zipper, faux leather and chain for a chic look that passes as store-bought!
We added leather (actually it was pleather) to reinforce and protect the bottom of the handbag. It also adds a decorative, more finished look—one that keeps this craft from having an easily recognized homemade look. You may even want to save enough to cut a few, thins strips to make a tassel for the zipper pull.
When you add the chain you will need to attach the jewelry findings with needle and thread. Okay, so it’s not completely a no-sew project, but we think you can handle a few unseen stitches. After all, you’re a crafter!
DIY no-sew purse instructions
- patterned fabric (we used 17" x 25")
- fabric glue
- zipper (we used a 15" zipper)
- binder clips
- faux leather fabric (we used 15" x 6")
- needle and thread
- lobster claw jewelry findings
- 36" chain
- Place fabric face down on a flat surface. Fold each edge over approximately ¼" and iron in place, one side at a time. Apply fabric glue between each fold, apply pressure to adhere then allow them to dry.
- Next, place the zipper right side up and lengthwise down the middle of the fabric. Apply glue along both edges of the zipper. Fold the longer sides of the fabric, one at a time, to the center and press to adhere to the seam of zipper. Allow them to dry.
- Once dry, adjust your zipper to sit at the top of the case.
- Fold sides of one end inward to form a finished edge. Apply glue between the 2 seams then press together and use binder clips to clamp seams in place. Repeat on the opposite side then allow the seams to dry.
- Cut the faux leather fabric to make a strip that fits across the bottom of your purse—you’re going to cup the bottom of the purse with the leather strip, fold it under and glue in place.
- With a needle and thread, sew on your lobster claw to each end of the purse and attach the chain.
- Now strut your stuff!