You’ve probably seen them—those adorable pendant necklaces of individual state maps. They seem to be the latest craze in jewelry! If you want one but don’t want to spend the cash, we can show you how to make your own! This map necklace rivals one you’d buy and costs a bunch less.
We’ve even taken out the hassle of searching online to find and size a map of your favorite state with a printable for you! All you have to do is cut out the state you want, adhere it to a thin metal sheet from your local craft store and throw a coat of dimensional Mod Podge on to create a professional looking charm. Add a clasp and chain and your friends will be asking where you bought it. Wait ‘til they find out how easy it was for you to make!
Map necklace pendant
- CherylStyle Map Necklace printable
- aluminum sheet (.032" x 4" x 10")
- spray adhesive
- Mod Podge Dimensional Magic
- pendant hanger clasp
- Gorilla Glue or E6000
- Download the CherylStyle West Coast map necklace printable, the CherylStyle East Coast map necklace printable or the CherylStyle Canada map necklace template and open in Adobe Reader.
- Print out the map of the states on regular paper then select and cut out the state of your choice.
- Adhere the cutout to the corner of the aluminum sheet using a spray adhesive. Next, carefully cut the metal sheet along the edge using scissors.
- Pour the Mod Podge Dimensional Magic over the top and allow it to dry overnight.
- Once dry, center a pendant hanger clasp on the top portion of the back of the cutout, and attach using Gorilla Glue or E6000. Allow it to dry up to 5 hours.
- When secure, attach the chain and your necklace is ready to wear!
- NOTE: If you’re from Michigan...you know there’s an ‘upper’ and ‘lower’ peninsula so cut out both pieces and follow directions to hang on a jump ring with the ‘upper’ (smaller piece) in front of the larger one.