With all the delicious late summer fruits hitting the market, we knew exactly who to call for a healthy, fruity and delicious recipe! Our friend, Brianne from Cupcakes & Kale Chips! She has tons of great recipes on her site and she has graciously offered to share one of her favorites with all of us! This recipe for blueberry and grilled peach quinoa parfaits is packed with fruit and the kids love it! We can’t wait for you to try it!
Hi, I’m Brianne from Cupcakes & Kale Chips. I’m a former Chemical Engineer turned stay-at-home mom and wannabe pastry chef. I create recipes for everything from healthy, everyday snacks and meals to rich, indulgent treats, because it’s all about balance. And I think this recipe is the perfect example of that.
I am a Jersey girl, born and raised, and regardless of what anyone may think, we are the Garden State for a reason. Believe it or not, our little state is one of the top peach and blueberry producing states in the country. They are so amazing, and I think peaches and blueberries taste even better together! I’ve been on a little kick making Greek yogurt and quinoa parfaits for my boys and me. So naturally with the store shelves overflowing with a couple of my favorite fruits, it was only natural that they made their way into some Blueberry & Grilled Peach Quinoa Parfaits.
The best thing about these parfaits is that they are filled with protein and calcium and, of course fruit, but they still have the sweet juiciness from the blueberries and peaches, creaminess from the yogurt and a bit of texture and nutty flavor from the quinoa. While this makes them an ideal snack, they are also nutritious enough for breakfast, but still sweet and satisfying as a dessert. My little guys and I have had them for all three!
In this version, I briefly grilled the peaches in over to bring out the juices and enhance the natural sweetness with a little caramelization. This also gave a great contrast in texture with the pop of the fresh blueberries. But the best thing is how versatile these are. You could roast the peaches, or if they are very ripe and juicy, just chop them up as-is without any grilling or roasting, and toss them in. I went with vanilla Greek yogurt and a bit of maple syrup plus a few pecans because I just adore maple, pecans, and blueberry together. But you could use plain yogurt or even your favorite fruit flavor, a bit of honey or agave, and walnuts or almonds instead of pecans (or leave them off altogether if you have a nut allergy).
I hope you will take advantage of the late summer harvest and make these fabulous little parfaits!
Blueberry and Grilled Peach Quinoa Parfaits (Makes 4)
• 2 peaches, halved and remove from the pit
• 1 cup cooked and cooled quinoa (prepared as per package instructions)
• 1 cup blueberries
• Two containers or about 1 cup vanilla Greek yogurt (or plain or your flavor of choice)
• 4 teaspoons maple syrup (or honey or agave)
• 4 teaspoons chopped pecans
1. Preheat your grill to medium high heat. Place each peach half on the grill, cut side down, for 4-5 minutes. Flip over and grill for another 4-5 minutes, or until caramelized and juicy. Remove from the grill and chill in the refrigerator. Alternatively, you can roast them cut side up on a baking sheet for 20-25 minutes at 425°F, or until tender.
2. Remove the peels, if desired, and chop the peaches into about 1/2 inch pieces.
3. Place about two tablespoons of quinoa in the bottom of each of the four jars, glasses or bowls. Top each with about two tablespoons of blueberries, about an eighth of the peaches, two tablespoons of yogurt, half a teaspoon of maple syrup, and half a teaspoon of pecans.
4. Repeat the layers, then top with a reserved peach slice or a couple of blueberries for garnish, if desired.
Enjoy! And I hope you will stop by and see me over at Cupcakes & Kale Chips.